 Trains / 13855
13854  |  13856
Subject:
Technical question on passenger car parts. (steps)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 01:22:30 GMT

Has anyone here ever built a working "drop" step as used on 1930s-'50s
streamlined passenger cars? I'm trying to design a minifig-scale LEGO
'30s-era streamlined car and the vestibule (section where passengers would
board and unload from the car at a station- this looks like a split door
when viewed in a side view, with sections being top/bottom, not left/right.

Technical background: most "streamlined" passenger cars (the proper term is
"lightweight", as some of the old "heavyweight" cars were streamlined and
redubbed "Betterments") and a few "Betterments" were fitted with retacting
steps which passengers used to board. There was a trapdoor in the floor, and
the drop step was fitted below the trap- which opened up. The pivot point
was close to the car's center. Does this sound even in the slightest like
anything anybody's done before?

A note on scaling: based on a few assumptions and measurements I made, I
calculated minifig-scale as about 1:40- a little larger than O scale (1:48,
Lionel) model trains, which makes each stud a 1 foot x 1 foot square.
Working from original drawings of the car I'm modeling, this leaves about 1"
of clearance between the frame bottom and the railhead. In short, vertical
space is at a premium.