 Trains / 13802
Re: Boston & Maine "High Nose"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:52:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:

I have questions about the shelf railway (although I like your new engine as
well).

I showed my wife pictures when you first announced it a while ago and she
told me I should do that in my office at home (we have 10' ceilings in our
hose so I have the room).  She raised a good point that I have been meaning
to post about but had forgotten about until your posting.

Must be wierd living in a "hose" :-)...

What do you do about the dust?  How frequently do you dust it?

You definitely have the space, our ceilings are just under 9'.  Which makes me
aske how tall are you?  I am about 5'10", the railway is about 7'8" and dust
doesn't collect on the bottom side of the shelf.

So to make my long answer short I will say that I have never dusted it in the
18 months it has been up.  That said, I noticed a few cob webs rapping
themselves around the minifigs in the town when I put the new engine on the
tracks and just used a dry cloth to get what I could see.

We run the train almost daily, my son just loves it! so the train itself
doesn't collect to much dust.  Sure there is some dust on the shelf but no one
I know is tall enough to see it so for us it is "out of sight, out of mind".
Now I am sure at some point I will have to hall a vaccum up there and give it a
good cleaning but I would say once a year would be more than sufficiant to get
whatever builds up.

Of course if you have alergy's and don't run the train often I would guess that
turning on a train could kick up some dust which might not be good.

Dust hasn't been a problem for us so far, so I say build your shelf railway,
you will love it.  We love ours (that includes my wife).  Plus how else can you
get 50'-60' of track perminantly set up in your house!!!

Eric Kingsley

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders