 Trains / 13574
Re: 12V to 9V
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:02:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rene Virsik writes:

Is it possible to rebuild the old 12V LEGO trains to the new 9V ?
If then HOW ?

If you mean "can 12V motors be modified to run on 9V track?"[1] Then I'd say
yes and no.
"No" because 9V motors pickup the power from the rails it run on. The 12V
motor doesn't have metal wheels to pickup power so you would have to modify
the power pickup so some kind of sliding contacts are required and this it
near impossible to by modifying the 12V motor itself (I tried to extend the
existing sliding contacts of a 12V motor but then I thought of a simpeler
solution... which brings us to:
"Yes" because you can create your own power pickup that is not part of the
12V motor. The easiest method is using an empty 9V motor shell (ie. the
actual motor part removed) and create a 12V to 9V connector[1] to get the
12V motor powered. I used that method for my steamer[2] (I have more 12V
steamers on my 9V layout but I still have to make pictures).
An alternative would be the power pickup[3] made by Ben for his famous
"april fools joke 2000" train set 4460[4] in case you don't like the look of
a 9V motor in your train.

hope this helps,
Frank

[1] like the one I made for the 12V to 9V signal conversion
http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/images/controlboxthumb.jpg
[2] http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/steamer.html
[3] http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/misc/pi440.jpg
[4] http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/misc/misc.html#fun