 Trains / 13468
Re: Negotiating curves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 05:11:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes writes:
Hi Gianluca,

How do your passenger wagong negotiate curves?

Looks funny, but it works in most cases.

I know by experience of my friend Carlo Ottolina that 48 long (and
8wide) wagons can't run on "S" shaped curves or points.

I haven't got much experiences in S-shaped curves, but points without the
yellow whatever-you-call-it-pin are no problem.

How can,for example HoMa's riviera express coaches run on points/"S"
shaped curves?

Hmm, it was mostly good luck. I would say it depends on the mixture of the
steering point in the middle of each boggie plate and the distance to the
magnetic coupling. If the steering point is more "inside" (= over the
inner-axle of a 2-wheel truck) the radius for the magnet will become larger, so
the cars can be coupled closer together. The magnet should be visable from top
in all positions (straight and curved). Than you can avoid decoupling while the
cars come too close together.

The Riviera Express isn't that difficult, the InterCityNight with one-axled
Talgo cars was a real challenge to make it steerable in curves and points. But
it works.

Another tip: Try to avoid putting curved tracks directly together when the
change the direction. Add a straight piece between them.

Hope that all does make any sense, while explaining it in english and with out
pictures??

Some months ago I wrote some "theoretical stuff" about waggons lengths on
lugnet.trains, but I can't remember in which thread :-((

Feel free to ask for more information!

Kind regards from a real 8-wide freak!

HoMa

Thanks,HoMa,for your explaination.
How may studs is the distance between bogies pivot points,in your Riviera
Express?

Thanks again,
Gianluca