 Trains / 13379
    Re: 12 volt track —Adam Wood
   I would have thought that 'begs' is the same as 'to ask formally'. In fact Collins uses the example "beg the question - to put forward an arguement that assumes the very point it is supposed to establish, or (and in this case) that depends on some (...) (23 years ago, 24-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: 12 volt track —Rick Clark
   I would have thought so, too. In fact, I did. But I was wrong. "Beg" does mean "ask for." But "beg the question" does not. Webster's Collegiate, 3a: "evade, sidestep <begged the real problems>." And 3b: "to assume a established or proved <beg the (...) (23 years ago, 25-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)