 Trains / 13312
Re: Station platforms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:05:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:
Hi.
I'm just wondering how high people usually make their station platforms? I
mean, assuming the track is sitting on a baseplate (not pushed down), how • many
plates to the top of the platform? I realise it depends on the trains, but is
there a sort-of "de-facto default"?

Dunno about anyone else but I tend to go with somewhere between 2.1 (two
bricks, one plate) and 3.0 in thickness. This is just a bit more than the
large platform units used by LEGO in many train and ocean sets and made in
grey and dark grey.

Note that this is well below the height of most rolling stock I make,
although some stock has lowered steps or doors.

It's also not unprototypical to have a platform that isn't flush with
highdoors yet is a bit above ground level as well.

Real US passenger stock takes this into account, with vestibules that have
drop plates. With the plates dropped, you walk straight out at highdoor
level on to a high platform. With the plates raised, a set of stairs that
gets you close to ground level is revealed (and the brakeman or porter or
car attendent puts a small stepping platform down that takes care of the
last step)

Thank you both for your suggestions. I checked the height of the Lego
platforms, and they looked just a little low with the cars I'm working on,
hence the question 8?) I just don't want them to look too high if I put it in a
cimbined layout with lower floor cars. I think I'll probably use about 2.1.

ROSCO