 Trains / 13224
Re: New MOC: GP7 locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:18:22 GMT

http://www.hafhead.com/lego/mytrain/gp7/index.html

Wow.  I have to admit I'm not a big fan of diesels, but I'm really impressed
with how that's put together.  It's a really interesting design of engine
too.  I had a closer look at the nose, as I wondered why you didn't have
more sideways studs to hold the side plates on (technic one or twin hole
bricks with half-pegs in give a nice flush stud) - and was amazed to see
you've fitted in working lights.  Very impressive.

Thanks very much- and the same to everyone else who gave compliments!

I usually don't like to use the technic construction you mention because it
isn't a very tight connection.  It often yields a section that tends to
rattle.  It certainly has its place though, and that little bit of play can
even be useful.

I don't agree it should be longer - maybe for accurate scale it should be
different (I don't know - I've never seen a real one), but as a Lego model
it's spot on.  I guess it would be nicer if motor bogeys were a bit shorter,
so you could fit in more detail between the bogeys, but that's just down to
your own modelling ethos.

Yes, it would be nice to fit more in between.  It's hard to put in fuel
tanks or the like between a pair of bogeys.  A Lego plate is a great size
for a small switcher, but not for a big locomotive if proper scale is your
target.

I see most Lego trains as falling into one of two categories.  One is the
group of traditional Lego "play" trains.  These tend to be undersized, are
often not recognizably based on a real train, and usually have more play
value (doors, windows, reasonable seating, etc.)  The other group is the
model trains.  These are typically characterized as looking a lot more like
real trains, but without as much play value.  They often have fake windows
and doors, and rarely have useable interior space.

Trains can certainly mix between these types, but you can usually categorize
MOCs as being a lot more like one than the other.  Official Lego trains, of
course, are definitely play trains.  They rarely look anything like real
trains (more so as time goes on).  But they typically have doors, windows,
and other functionality.  I don't mean to demean either type- both are neat
styles of models in their own right, and it is very hard to compare two
trains on opposite ends of the line.

I'm aiming for a balance between the two styles.  In this case, it is
recognizeable as a specific engine type and actually holds a minifig.  But
it is way undersized as a model of the real thing.  A number of people
commented that it is too small, which is totally true for this type of
locomotive.  Then again, you always have to do some selective compression-
what is Lego scale compared to real-world?  I typically think of 1 stud as
being equal to 1 foot, which is consitent with minifig height.  But a
minifig is over 3 feet wide by that scale.  There isn't a reasonable way to
account for that.

In any case, for those who want a longer train, I've got one.  It will
probably be at least a week until I get the shots taken and posted, but it
is built.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com