 Trains / 13146
  12v Trains

Since I decided to go the hard route and not go with 9v trains, how am I going to power them? (My primary reason for choosing 12v over 9v is the availability of remote points and accessories.) I believe Lego made a 12v transformer for 110 (...) (23 years ago, 31-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12v Trains

This is a topic near to my heart -- I too decided to run 12v on my layout at home. There are some challenges, but it is a lot of fun. On to your questions: (...) I've never seen a 110 transformer for 12v. But the 220 transformers can be found fairly (...) (23 years ago, 31-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12v Trains

(...) Radio Shack has a nice stepup transformer which is basically a wall wart. The only unfortunate thing about it is that it only has one euro plug, but I think it does have enough capacity to run two controllers. It was a bit pricy ($32 or so). (...) (23 years ago, 31-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12v Trains

(...) Can I ask why you do this? If you have a 12v transformer working, I can't think of a reason why you'd want to run a 9v line to the points... what am I missing? -Greg (23 years ago, 31-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12v Trains

(...) A couple reasons: - I tried it before I acquired the step up transformer - the 741 transformer I have doesn't have a constant voltage source for accessories (and now that I see Ben's note in the other thread realize even if I had a 740 (...) (23 years ago, 31-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12v Trains

(...) I took your advice and bought a 12v transformer. I won an auction on ebay for the transformer, over 60 pieces of straight and curved track, right and left remote points, a crossover, 2 grade crossings, a 12v motor, and a few other (...) (23 years ago, 2-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)