 Trains / 13077
Re: Question regarding train motors and regulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 00:45:29 GMT

Bob Parker wrote:

I am looking forward to receiving my Metroliner and club cars but am still
new to trains.

Since I have two of the Railway Express sets (which are only good for parts
as far as I'm concerned), I have both extra speed regualtors and motors that
I can use with the Metroliner.

So here are my questions (1):

These questions really need to be in the FAQ (or are they there
already?)

1) Is there a rule of thumb for how many speed regulators are needed per x
amount of track?  In other words, how big must the layout be before more
than one speed regulator is required?

Only on a truly huge layout will you need multiple controllers to keep a
reasonable speed around a loop.

2) Is the overall length of the track a factor, or the number of pieces
under the load of one regulator?

The primary factor is length of track and wiring between the motor and
the controller. A small loop (on a 4'x6' table) is enough to notice a
speed drop when the train is on the far side of the loop from the
controller, but not enough to warrant use of a 2nd controller.

Connecting two controllers will almost certainly not cause any damage
(even if they manage to be set to opposing voltages).

3) Would 2 regulators spaced at opposite ends of a layout help with running
an engine even if the layout is not that big (i.e. 4 x 8 foot)?

For a 4'x8' layout, 1 regulator is plenty. However, if you get a few
sets of turnouts, you can rig up some nice layouts with two (or more)
loops, and then two regulators will allow you to separately control the
trains on the two loops. The turnouts also control power direction, so
two loops connected by a pair of turnouts will be independent assuming
at least one turnout is set to close it's loop, not connect to the
connecting track. If you make the connecting track long enough, you
could even store a stopped train in it by having both turnouts switched
to the loop not the connecting track (thus the connecting track will be
dead).

4) I assume that more than one motor can be hooked up to the Metroliner for
instance - will this burn the motors out faster?

I always use two motors on larger locomotives (for one thing, I think it
looks nicer with both trucks looking alike). It's highly unlikely (like
basically nil) this will do any damage to the motors (unless one has
very different electrical characteristics, but that's unlikely unless
one motor is brand new and the other is very well used, and even then,
it's unlikely).

(1) I assume that for purposes of these questions, the faster the loco goes,
the more voltage (or is that amps?) it would consume, so assume that I would
not run the train fast enough to send it flying off the table and there
would be little or no inclines

The faster the train, the higher the voltage. I'm not sure how the
current changes as the controller is set higher and higher, it will
increase as the load on the motor increases (and as the load on the
motor increases, the voltage delivered by the controller at a particular
setting will drop, also, the rails will cause a larger voltage drop at
higher currents, thus delivering less voltage to the motor).

A basic understanding of electrical theory will show that there is very
little problem with running two controllers together or two motors
together. The basic saving grace is that we don't live in an ideal
world. This means that there is resistance in everything in the system,
and therefore the resistance between a pair of controllers, or a pair of
motors, results in a limit on the current flow between the pair if there
is a mismatch. The LEGO controllers also have some protective circuitry
which will take care of almost any situation which does exceed a
reasonable current flow.

Frank