 Trains / 13076
13075  |  13077
Subject:
Question regarding train motors and regulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:45:41 GMT

I am looking forward to receiving my Metroliner and club cars but am still
new to trains.

Since I have two of the Railway Express sets (which are only good for parts
as far as I'm concerned), I have both extra speed regualtors and motors that
I can use with the Metroliner.

So here are my questions (1):

1) Is there a rule of thumb for how many speed regulators are needed per x
amount of track?  In other words, how big must the layout be before more
than one speed regulator is required?

2) Is the overall length of the track a factor, or the number of pieces
under the load of one regulator?

3) Would 2 regulators spaced at opposite ends of a layout help with running
an engine even if the layout is not that big (i.e. 4 x 8 foot)?

4) I assume that more than one motor can be hooked up to the Metroliner for
instance - will this burn the motors out faster?

Thanks for any help,

- Bob

(1) I assume that for purposes of these questions, the faster the loco goes,
the more voltage (or is that amps?) it would consume, so assume that I would
not run the train fast enough to send it flying off the table and there
would be little or no inclines