 Trains / 12739
Re: Monorail track and other stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:48:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jim Schifeling writes:
Now before I go buy and destroy a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have.... has
anyone made monorail track? It looks like you could make it out of old 12V
rails taken off, laid seperately end to end and raised up on 1 or 2 (1x)
plates. Have any of you tried this? I saw someone a week ago or so with
monorail track made of Znap but the pictures were real bad and there was no
documentation. Maybe a micro motor set sideways?

When I was a kid I made such a monorail made of single 12V track elements.
The vehincles for this where basicly 4 wide plates with some build up on top
and four round bricks 1 x 1 under it, one pair (1 stud apard) at the front
and one pair at the back. These where not motorized, I used to slide them
along the track manualy. I had both passanger and freight carriers, the last
ones where made from the old town truck bases. I operated a kind of sliding
switches, by moving sideways a curved section could take the place of a
straight one. I could also make 3-way switches with this technique. The
great thing was: you could make a track double in length compaired with a
normal layout, and with a minimum of material spectacular spans and other
impossibly flimsy structures where possible.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.