 Trains / 12437
12436  |  12438
Subject:
Curved Green Switcher MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:19:26 GMT

An old MOC I've had on all my layouts has finally been detailed on
Brickshelf.  No fair if you've already peeked at it!

Anyway, I found myself staring at the green curved spindled fences from the
bow of an Armada Flagship, and the trans-light blue half cylinder from a
Time Twisters set (Time Machine?) about a year ago, and I was inspired to
make the two into the windshield and railing of a small shunter for my
layout.  The inside and outside radii of the two elements were just too
similar to keep them apart on different models, ya know, and I felt obligate
to force the train theme upon them.  Had to be green to go with my green
Pullman, of course, and the kids had to be able to put it through the wringer.

As expected, the mounting of the spindled rail was the challenge to this,
but it's turned out to be VERY sturdy - even with a low mounted light under
the nose.  A year later, many crashes, and field testing by two young sons,
and never a disconnected element.  Gotta love it.  Not that I'm challenging
my sons to destroy the thing, and they do treat it respectfully.  I've
updated some of the curved pieces in the cab area over the past year, but
the original was very much like the design you see today.

This engine's a staple in my stable.

OK - here's some links to get you an idea of what I did so long ago...

The finished model:
The yellow 1x1 tiles are actually "3" and "1" from other sets.

Details of the spindled fence mount:

The DAT file's here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ejmcglynn/Engine31/31green.dat

I made an animated GIF of the building process:
(first time I've done THAT.)

All the above is found with this link (I couldn't just give you this first?!):

Please comment and tell me how cool this is.  :^)
Ed