 Trains / 12028
12027  |  12029
Subject:
The GFLTC at TRU in Tampa Florida
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 16:55:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Fair warning, long posting.

Four members of the GFLTC, Robin Werner, Scott Holcomb,
Scott Miller and I,  participated in a "new" event
for us which is to put on a display at a local Toys R' Us
in South Tampa.  The event was promoted for a month prior
to the event with flyers at the store.  Also TLC helped
out by sending out postcards to Tampa Bay Lego Club members
of which at least brought in a few dozen families.  We
commandeered the aisle immediately following the entrance
to TRU and had a long display running down 1/2 the store
length with crowd barriers in front and back.

It took one hour on Friday night to setup.  We also started
putting up Lego on Sat at 8 am.  The event was from 10 am
to 7 pm but we were ready for the store opening at 9:30 am.

One goal was to obviously spur sales at TRU through our
display and the members brought a large amount of Lego kits
which would be found in the store e.g. Trains,Star Wars, Castle,
Technic, Mindstorms DDK, DSDK, RIS 1.0, etc.  MOCs were
also brought out to show off our stuff and show the diversity
that can be accomplished with Lego.

The pictures for the event is posted here:

We had a very successful and rewarding day as the traffic
through the store on Saturday was great and would like to
thank TRU for hosting us.  Special thanks to Brenda and
Bryan, TRU managers for their support and help.

Our success can also be measured in the following way:
1.  TRU registered 5 guest requests for us to come back
    to display (of which we have already been asked by TRU)
    by the end of the night.
2.  All Saturday total sales vs.  Saturday one week ago
3.  All Saturday Lego only sales vs. Saturday one week ago

Numbers 2 and 3 will be given to me later in the week and
I will post a followup.  However, guesstimates are that
we will have at the very least a bump up in the Lego sales
as we saw several families walking to the register with
Lego sets.  Note I will not be posting the actual sales
numbers but the percentage increase and decrease to keep
those numbers confidential.  Also, I will try to get the
numbers after the weekend for next Saturdays to show the
event showed a bump in sales in the period between.

Another measure of success was just the sheer volume of
positive comments from our display.  I chose to do a
Mindstorms demo at irregular intervals and that was
well received by many parents who really had no clear
understanding of what Mindstorms represented and could
accomplish for kids.  Robin and Scott Holcomb also field
numerous questions about Lego trains which is a common
thing for those who have put Lego trains on display.
I will be posting something in lugnet.people on an
encounter that was special to me.

Finally I will close in saying that we will probably
include such display events in future as our normal
circuit in the June - Sept time frame when the train
shows are at their ebb.

Special note for castle ninja folks, the event was a
quick premiere of my new Himeji castle done in two
half-sections which I will post in detail just before
Brickfest.  Himeji Castle will be at Brickfest for
your viewing pleasure for those who are going.

Special thanks to John Gramley for the instructions
to the striped blue and yellow Easter Egg I made.
Greetings and salutations to Mike and Allan from
Melbourne, Florida, a couple of lurking lugnetters
on a road trip from the East coast of Florida.

KK Quah