 Trains / 11379
Re: My Agonizing Decision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 20:08:11 GMT

"Harvey Henkelman" <HarveyHenkelman@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:GDy8Bo.4E2@lugnet.com...

It looks to me like the motor is in the tender (on the 7722), what I think
I'll do is put the 9V motor in the tender and put either the red or black
4.5V/12V wheels on the engine. I think this would look better than the new
engines being offered by LEGO®-Harvey

The 7722's motor is not in the tender, it's a battery train with the motor
in the locomotive and powered by batteries carried in the 'tender'
(disguised as a boxcar in 7722). It will run happily unmodified on 9V track
since it only needs the track to ride and doesn't have an electrical
connection to it.

If you want it powered by 9V just replace the locomotive's motor with a 9V
motor. The 7722 doesn't have the 12V train motor with moving pistons etc. so
it doesn't really ruin the look. If you want to keep the grey era look, I
would build a tender with an empty 9V motor shell to pickup the power.
Power is picked up by the 9V motor wheels and transferred to the motor by a
wire using a converter like the one I made for the signal (set 7860):
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/images/controlbox.jp
g (the picture is a bit fuzzy, sorry).
The 4,5/12V connectors are from <set:5061> but should be included with the
7722 train.
HTH.

-Frank

PS. pictures of my 12V train powered by 9V are here:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/steamer.html
More about the 12 to 9 volt converter here:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/signal.html