 Trains / 11306
MOCs: P38 and AA Flatbed (WWII)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 11:41:26 GMT

Hi All,

I posted some pictures of my two latest WWII MOCs ... a flatbed train
car with an 88mm anti-aircraft gun mounted on it, and a Lockheed P38
Lightning airplane.

The P38 can be seen at:

It was one of the fastest Allied planes during the war, thanks to its
unique design and twin powerful engines.  It's nose housed an impressive
armament of four guns: three 7.62 mm guns and a 20mm cannon.  Two of the
three top American aces in WWII flew P38s.  Its distinctive shape
inspired German forces to refer to it as the "Fork-Tailed Devil".  The
model has a retractable landing gear.

The flatbed car is the latest addition to my German train ... only four
more cars to go and it's done!  It can be seen here:

The gun has a 360 degree traverse, and can elevate to about 85 degrees.
Although it was originally intended as an anti-aircraft gun (and that's
its use on this train), it found successful service as an anti-tank gun
throughout the war.  Typically, when used in anti-tank applications, the
front shields were emplaced, as shown in some of the photographs.  The
guns were mounted on halftracks, trucks, train cars, and permanent
emplacements throughout the war.

-shaun

FUT lugnet.build