 Trains / 11289
Re: New trains and wagon bases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 12:19:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:

I thought that the base plate of the new long trains looked like a different
moulding - the underside has a 2x4 ridge outlined in the centre, unlike the
older version which just had a large cluster of rings.

But mainly, it's 4 studs shorter than the service pack wagon base - only 24
studs, not 28.  (I gather that some of the red wagon plates are even longer,
at 30 studs - can anyone tell me if these are from the current freight &
crane railway (4565), or the old service pack).

Freight and crane uses three 28 stud reds for the locomotive and both long
flat cars, I believe, or so I interpret the instructions.

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4565/

A 24 stud wagon plate appears in blue in 4555. I can't recall off hand if it
has the 2x4 ridge you refer to but would bet it is the same part.

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4555/4555-10.html

So, it did have a new piece in, after all...

Maybe. But I doubt it. New color for an existing piece, perhaps. But that
volume and price point is hard to hit if tooling costs for that large a
piece have to be amortized. Or so I speculate.

++Lar