 Trains / 11194
Re: A few questions about the new trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:41:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adam Murtha writes:
It looks like in the pictures at S@H that there was a motor included with
the set.

You're right, and it also looks like they faked most of the colour schemes
in a paint package too.

Don't rely completely on the pictures.  Read back through here to find out
what you actually get - for example, the engines are modular, such that an
engine with a tender actually comes with all the parts to build the slightly
different-looking one without a tender instead, which would then leave you
the tender base to build a wagon using your own bricks.  The tender is the
same for both sizes of engine, but note that you can't build the small
engine just from parts in the big one.

The small train without a tender only has one set of buffers (on the rear)
in the picture, but has two (front and back) if you actually buy one.

And it looked like the motor was on the tender on the sets that had a
tender, in the pics at S@H.

Didn't notice - but the instructions on how to motorise it tell you to put
the motor under the engine, not the tender, for both the large and small train.

Hmmm...it looks like getting one of those trains as a train starter would be
rather expensive.  Thanks for your help.

Depends - the engine, as a push-along, is pretty good value.  The lighting
kit for these engines, however, is expensive.  I wouldn't bother with it at all.

To get powered up, ask around for people in your local area/country/state -
there'll be a few people who've bought several train sets, and who have
spare controllers and connecting wires they could sell second hand.

Curved track is usually pretty cheap second hand, since most train sets
contain a loop of track that nobody really wants.  The only thing you'd need
to buy new then is a motor (again, ask around for second hand first), then
some packs of straight track to start you going somewhere.

Then you can expand with more track, points and wagon base kits (or more
engines, for parts) to build your own wagons and carriages.

The alternative as a train starter is a second-hand complete (or
part-complete) set, or a new set.  It's up to you, depending on whether you
want Lego rolling stock or your own designs.

Don't give up.  Buy trains!  I only started a few months ago, and look
(bottom pic):

<http://www.joefish.cwc.net/sclf/>

Jason J Railton