 Trains / 10889
Re: Pneumatically driven locomotive ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:19:49 GMT

I have always wondered how steam engines do deal with pistons winding up dead
center. With a car, the starter motor gets the fly wheel going, so there is
already momentum before the pistons start firing, but with a steam locomotive
the pistons start at a dead stop and the inertia of the train seems like is
would outweigh the momentum of a wheel. The only thing I can think of is to • have
the sides push at different times.

That's how it is done, it's called "Quartering".  Realize that a 2 cylinder,
double acting steam engine has as many power strokes as a 8 cylinder car engine
(4 stroke).

Because the "push" for the pistons comes from the steam, the valve events
(which are controllable) determine when the push will come, not the "firing"
(burning) of the fuel.

James
(off with a brilliant flash, I'll see how well it works!)