 Trains / 10871
  Pneumatically driven locomotive ??

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever succeeded in putting together a pneumatically driven train? Reading through some of the posts regarding the new S@H train offerrings, I got to thinking that it could probably be done - it would make an (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pneumatically driven locomotive ??

(...) I have always wondered how steam engines do deal with pistons winding up dead center. With a car, the starter motor gets the fly wheel going, so there is already momentum before the pistons start firing, but with a steam locomotive the pistons (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pneumatically driven locomotive ??

(...) have (...) That's how it is done, it's called "Quartering". Realize that a 2 cylinder, double acting steam engine has as many power strokes as a 8 cylinder car engine (4 stroke). Because the "push" for the pistons comes from the steam, the (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)