 Town / 9782
Re: Module idea for new layout section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 14:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   In lugnet.town, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.town, Jason J Railton wrote:

   In lugnet.town, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   Yes, I had the ping-pong scenario in mind for the surface trolley (at least) and was going to check out how you and Ross did it at NMRA.

In lugnet.town, John Neal wrote:
   It sounds like a simple thing, but doing it is another thing entirely. Our solution at the NMRA wasn’t ideal by any metric, and our ping-ponging effect at our last show was even more of a bust (different solution). Ross will be working on it:-)

This is how mine works. The controller uses a motor-driven polarity switch and runs off the same controller power as the train.

Click Click

I modified the track to fit a diode. You could do it without too much modification though:
  1. put a piece of paper between the joins of two pieces of track
  2. add a track power connector so that it’s connecting to the same rail either side of the gap
  3. add a diode to the contacts at the end of the power connector and secure it with a brick or something.

Aha, well, that looks very nice. Ross’ approach was always assuming non-modification, using the RCX and available sensors. He might even use our new NXT if it helps him any over using the RCX. I don’t pretend to understand all of this, but I’ll show Ross your solution and perhaps it will get his creative wheels turning (he does like to solder, though...:-)

Same here. I can put two or more plastic bricks together, but this is way over my head, along with any solution I am sure. I am quite thinking I’ll be flying the Neal posse to NYC to (help me) set up mine.

Hey, you’ll save a lot of money if you only pay to have Ross come-- I’m dead weight! (maybe good for a laugh or two:-)

Thanks for sharing, Jason, because I think I missed that the first time around!

Absolutely. Thanks very much, Jason. I just wish I were smart enough in this capacity. Just reading the word “diode” made me useless at work for an hour.

Was it coffee, milk, then sugar? Milk, sugar, then coffee? ahhhh!

PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT!

(wiping off monitor) You crack me up, Jonathan! :-)

JOHN