 Town / 8740
Re: Carriage House --2nd town contest entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:52:34 GMT

In lugnet.town, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.town, Jonathan Lopes wrote:

   Thanks, John. I have put a couple of angle shots in the folder here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=165246

You’re right, the angles give it a better presentation.

Yes, but I’m also talking about angles from below, not above. It is almost universal that AFOLs photograph their MOCs from above, which is okay, but if one is trying to convey elements of realism, then there should be pics from a minifig perspective such as these:

These camera angles really help “sell” the shot, and are so much more interesting (to me, at least) than clinical, shots from a helocopter. I’m not saying that pics from above, etc are bad and shouldn’t be taken as well, I’m just saying that the shots which show off a building MOC the best are from a fig’s perspective (at an angle) and should definitely be included.

This isn’t a knock on you, Jonathan; I guess I’m just taking this opportunity here to emplore all contestants to take more shots from these angles, in order to present their entries in the most visually pleasing way.

JOHN

This is excellent feedback, John. Thanks! My main goal is realism and your method and reasoning will add to what I want to accomplish. I think I am a pretty good builder and don’t want my pictures to detract from the actual creation...I want to acheive the exact opposite. I want the pictures to add to the element. Being that this is a contest entry, only adds to that goal.

And, no worries on the potential ‘knock’. None at all. I come here to share and learn and I greatly appreciate anything that can help me improve building, presentation or otherwise.

Jonathan