 Town / 8585
Re: John Neal: Have you finished this building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:58:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Lopes wrote:

I was poking through your Brickshelf gallery yesterday and noticed this. I have long been thinking about a similar approach to the lintels. I am interested in seeing how it came out. I am not really getting a good idea of whether or not they are to thick and bulky being 2 wide. Did you have any thoughts on this?

Personally, I don’t think that they are too thick and bulky looking. When creating such a structure, the builders would simply flip up on end the bricks with which they are building to create the lintel. That pic you’ve selected is actually a remodel-- I was adding a floor to it and hadn’t taken pics of the building process before. HERE, and HERE you can see it, although not very well, at the ILTCO Cincy show.

My plan now is to take my large tan building off that end of the layout and replace it with this dark red one, but it’ll have to be in an “L” shape so as not to hang over the inside corner like the rectangular tan one did.

   I was thinking about it on the subway ride home last night and figured out a way to make them 1 wide. I don’t have a camera or MLCAD skills, but, if you use a headlight brick, sideways, at each side of the top of a 4 wide window and use 1x2 plates & a couple of tiles going across, (the bottom plate tube goes in the front hole of the headlight brick) you can get a very similar effect in 1 wide.

I think I am envisioning what you are talking about. I wonder if, in the end, the lintel would appear too petitte. It might depend upon the size of the building WRT lintel proportions.

Hey, speaking of you and replacing buildings on our layout...

For our Cincy show, we “borrowed” the tan building and our Spamcake Diner™ from our “subway modules” (HERE is where they normally belong)

Well, I decided that we can’t keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul forever and that I would need to build some more buildings. Hence the remodeled dark red building. Now, to replace the Spamcake Diner™, here was my thought (just last night in fact), and when I thought of you, my fellow Ashcanner:-)-- to recreate the diner in Edward Hopper’s Nighthawks

The trick is to figure out the dimensions of the thing. I read that it actually existed, but no more. Perhaps I can find some pics online.

JOHN