 Town / 7190
7189  |  7191
Subject:
'50s Signs and '60s Cars (Photos)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:59:42 GMT

Hi everyone,

I don’t usually post, but I thought I would share this with you all. A little background ... my mother lived in Germany for some time when she quite young and therefore got a bit of old Lego from when it was only available in Europe (50s, 60s I believe)

Anyway a lot of it is gone now, but I managed to find a box of old signs (set 232, in fact) I’ve taken some photos and posted them below. The official Lugnet entry shows very little detail, so I figured this would not be redundant. Everything on the box is in German. The front reads “LEGO”, and below literally “Building Stones” in english but it “correctly” translates to “brick”, essentially. Below that in the yelllow field it says “System of play”. The back reads “The toy for all ages”

It is missing 5 signs, according to the Lugnet database (though I don’t know which ones).

232 (Signs)

232 Box back

232 Box side

232 “LEGO” on the bottom of each sign

Also present in the box were these signs. They have no “LEGO” written on them anywhere, so I’m really not sure where they might be from.

Next we have 2 cars. My father picked these up at a garage sale years ago, along with a VW which was too damaged to resurrect. Both of these cars may have had a bit of modification, I think. There is also some sticker residue on the roof of 264 which I am unsure on how to remove without scratching the vehicle. 666 may have a new windshield, again I’m not sure. The steering wheel is also slightly broken.

Sets 264 (missing the “garage”) and 666

264 closeup

666 closeup

And finally, here is the bottom of both cars displaying the LEGO name and car maker.

I believe I have a lot of the old windows from the 60s also, but I can’t find them - will do some more searching today.

I have high quality photos of all this also, if anyone would like em.

Anyway, I don’t know if this is interesting or not, but it is here just in case. :)

Mike