 Town / 6955
Re: Art Museum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:24:11 GMT

Thanks, all, for your comments. Some more info...

The museum is fashioned loosely after the University of Michigan art museum in
Ann Arbor, MI. It has the approximate shape, the portico, the double round
columns, the square columns and even the flower pots on the portico. The UofM
museum is pretty plain, though, and has few windows. In fact they don't show in
the pictures I used as inspiration for my museum, so I don't even know what they
look like. So instead of modeling the subtle details of the UofM museum I just
rolled my own. The headers for the windows are just the result of experimenting
and aren't meant to look like any building in particular, and the shape of the
walls is my traditional shaped-column construction.

At the show there were about twenty people who asked if it was the White House.
Before the next show I'll try to make it more clear that it's an art museum by
hanging banners on the portico.

No, I won't be detailing the interior. The windows are actually pretty bulky and
ugly from the inside. There are studs facing in too many directions. Each pair
of windows is an interlocking module consisting of four pieces plus the outer
wall, which the window module is locked to through a hole in the center of the
module. Kinda hard to explain. Perhaps I'll photograph it. In short, though, the
window modules are bulky and ugly from the inside. The inside of the building
looks like a rennovation project in progress, gutted, with scaffolding and other
added superstructure. I didn't have time to streamline it and likely will never
do so.

Amy