 Town / 5759
Re: MOC: Wal-Mart, Bob Evans, raised tracks (preliminary layout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:06:17 GMT

Hi Bill, Ray:

Thanks for your replies! I fully agree. In fact, the set-up will be divided
in two sections: urban generic sprawl and small town USA; we have only
started working on the former.

On our last trip back to our small mid-west undergrad college town, we took
tons of pictures of exactly the type of local stores / buildings that you
describe: Mac & Joe's (restaurant), La Bodega (bakery/delicatessen), Looney
T-Birds (Record/Video Store), Red Ox (drive-through groceries), etc. Lots of
building still to be done!

I have to admit that, as a non-American, I am fascinated by the contrasting
nature of both.

The set-up is currently built is a non-modular fashion, mostly because a
lack of the standardized units that are being used at the train shows that
frequently take place in the US. I am sure that individual buildings /
sections could be transported, however (anything but the tracks).

Dirk

P.S. Bob Evans is a breakfast chain http://www.bobevans.com/

In lugnet.town, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.town, William R. Ward writes:
"Dirk Staatsen" <lego@nedlux.com> writes:
Hi all,

Having moved about a year ago, we now finally have a room entirely devoted
to Lego. Over the last year, we have been working on several layouts, the
first of which ended up taking up too much space.

We are now working on a layout complete with raised tracks (to save space),
a Wal-Mart, a Bob Evans, and a McDonald's, as well a rural area. We have not
decided yet whether to expand or eliminate the soccer stadium. A downtown
area is to follow.

Please note that the current photos show a very preliminary layout :-).

http://www.nedlux.com/lego

Dirk

What is Bob Evans?

Your McD's and Wal*Mart are quite authentic-looking.  But speaking as
someone who does not think very highly of the way that our towns are
being taken over by the franchises and chains in RL, I'd encourage you
to include more locally owned businesses ...

Yup, we need more work done on businesses with a local flavor, like...

Billy Bo Bobs  Bar-B-Q and (just outside of town) Honky Tonk

oh, and make sure there are plenty of pick-em-up trucks parked out front.

Ray (posting from the deep south, aka the middle of nowhere)