 Town / 5657
Re: New MOC, Kalamazoo County Courthouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:08:24 GMT

In lugnet.town, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
David,

That's beautiful!  You really capture the look of the original building.

I have a question for you or anyone else who's built buildings on this
scale--what do you put on the inside?  The roof seems like it would be
pretty sturdy, but do you have pillars holding it up to prevent sag?  Also,
how do you transport this?  Do you build it in segments that can be
assembled at a display, or do you move the whole thing as a unit?

I'm always inspired by these buildings and would someday like to tackle a
project on this scale.

Bruce

The interior for this building is hollow (no floors or interior walls) but
there is a fairly large internal structure that supports the roof and towers.
Its a set of 5 16x16 columns made of blue 2x2s and 2x4s in a lattice type
pattern.  About cornice level there are large beams that join these columns to
each other and to the outside walls.  The roof and towers are built upon this
so that the finished product is very study (and heavy).  I can carry it as one
piece but have a sheet of board under the baseplates when I do so.  The tower
is the only part that comes off since this building is just the right size to
fit in my back seat.  Any larger and I would have had to have made it in 2
sections.

Thanks for the comments!

David Kohrman