 Town / 5638
Re: Lighthouse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:18:10 GMT

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on the lighthouse.  As usual
the feedback was incisive and the suggestions were great.  Its really nice
to get the opinion of your peers after you spend alot of time on a MOC.
This one is a few years old, but is one of my favorites.  If I were to build
it again I'd do some things differently, but I think it holds up pretty
well.  I really like the bridge and the watchman's cabin.  I'm not really
that happy with the bottom of the lighthouse, I think it could have
benefitted from a little more thought and effort.

I thought I'd answer a few of the questions:  The lens does not light up or
rotate automatically.  To be honest, I don't own the necessary motor or
parts, but its a great idea.  Again, if i were to do it again, I would
definitely incorporate the idea.  I can't believe I didn't think of it at
the time.  I can't recall the exact height, but I beleive it was around 82
bricks tall, not counting the flag or the rock-base.  The guy dashed upon
the rocks (and being consumed by crabs) is a drowned pirate who washed up in
that little water-beaten cave.  The skeleton-head with the barrels is the
man-servant to the "Duelist" (guy in brown tricorner hat).  He isn't
actually undead, but just wears the mask for effect (note the yellow hands).
He is pouring oil from the barrels, which he will then set ablaze.  The guy
with the Boba-Fett torso is "The Atomic Frogman", a foreign-national from a
far-away pantheon (That of non-brickshelf posting Capt. Rutherford), who has
been invited to gentlemenly combat with "The Duelist".  Again, there is a
backstory but I don't think it works too well.  The Native American in the
cavalry outfit is another foreigner to my pantheon (citizen of
brickshelf-poster Ryan Rubino), and also an dueling guest.  All inquiries
should be directed to him.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post feedback.
-Keith