 Town / 5196
Re: New MOCs: New York Ciy fire truck, ambulance, police cruiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:13:55 GMT

In lugnet.town, Sean Kenney writes:
In lugnet.town, Jason Spears writes:
FDNY fire truck:

Really good.  A very accurate portray of the reference pictures.  One nit
pick though.  Why use the fence pieces instead of a ladder piece?

I'd seen it done once before and thought it was quite an ingenious way of
making a ladder if you don't have one. :)  I actually should have some
ladders somewhere, since I know I've got an 80s fire station or two in my
collection, but I really didn't feel like digging around for them. :)

FDNY ambulance:

Again really good.  I like how you even got the jog in the stripe.
Question - Can you get a fig in the driver's seat?  Or anyone in the back?
(I would guess with the half-stud offset, that the answer to the latter
is no.)

Forgive me, but what is a jog?  (Other than the obvious form of exercise.) :)

Thanks.  As for fitting people in, the answer is no.  In my more recent
vehicular creations, I've generally opted for more "realistic" scale, even
though it means you wouldn't be able to get someone in.  I like keeping cars
4-wide, so it means making them shorter.  I actually am all out of those
shorter windshields, (for the ambulance, I had to scavenge one off one of my
taxicabs!) so I'm going to probably have to see what brickbay has to offer :)

I toyed with the idea of making the rear doors hinge open somehow, but I
don't have any of the 2-stud "single" airplane windows in white -- only
4-wide "doubles", so that shot down that idea.

NYPD police cruiser:

Nice.  I like the sloped look.

Thanks.  I've adopted that style for almost all of my cars now.  Modern cars
have more of a "wedge" shape... their trunks are very high, and they have
higher clearance in the back than in the front.  I thought it made perfect
sense to offset the front and rear wheels in order to simulate that.  So
now, all my modern cars use this technique.  I have a New Beetle that does
this (and an "old" beetle that does not), my taxicabs do this, etc.  There
are more pictures of my other cars at

Thanks for the feedback!!

Sean
---
The Brick Apple - New York City in Lego
http://www.brickapple.com

Overall, I think that the creations are quite accurate but not accurate
enough.  The first model I must talk about is the Chevrolet Impala.  If you
have heard of the LEGO Studios Spider-Man subtheme, there are some pieces
from there which would benefit you more in terms of accuracy to a real
police cruiser.  Since you are obviously modeling it after a Port Authority
vehicle, buying the set with the robber, getaway vehicle, and police cruiser
would benefit you greatly.

Now on to the other two models.  The fire truck and fire ambulance are very
accurate but slightly too narrow in terms of those vehicles.  The same could
also be said of your police cruiser.  It seems that LEGO has always been
facing this problem until one of the new Harry Potter sets, though the
LEGOLAND vehicles seem to be more accurate in terms of realism.  For these
vehicles, however, simply make them two studs wider and put seats in them if
you can.  There are also no decals for the fire ambulance and fire truck but
I am sure that if you ask around that someone could make some for you.

Overall, you can ignore the comments about the fire vehicles but I figured
that telling you about the LEGO Studios Spider-Man subtheme would have been
a good idea.

Jesse Long