 Town / 4929
Re: Burned-Out Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:35:54 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.build.military, Shaun Sullivan writes:

I posted a gallery of pictures of my European-style home with severe bomb or
fire damage.  The building ha(d) a shop on the ground floor, with proprietor
housing on the two floors above.  However, it seems that a grand mishap has
ravaged the structure, leaving it strewn with rubble and fallen walls:

Very nice.  I caught a glimpse or two of this in the images from the NELUG
usage, but I did not fully recognize how cool the work was.  My first
thought is a flashback to the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the heroes
encounter the French family stranded in their ruined home (just before one
of the heroes gets shot by a sniper).

Hey!  It worked!  That is exactly the image that kept creeping into my head
while I was building it!

That, and a post office design in a diorama at the Portland (Maine) airport,
where they have a number of models on display.  The one I'm thinking of had a
burned out post office with the greystone arches on the first floor.  Next to
the building was a damaged StugIII Tank Destroyer, and painted on its chassis
was some graffiti: "No Forwarding Address".

But, a closer look reveals a very
nice way to use an old Crater Plate for something non-space.  I love the use
of sloped elements and debris!

Thanks!

-s