 Town / 4863
Re: Slot Car Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 00:49:36 GMT

Greg,

Yeah, I think this will be an excellent project.  I think Lego is
potentially headed down the same path with some of the new race sets.  The
pull back motors and tracks are pretty close to the old Hot Wheels tracks.
The reason why I was thinking about making custom tracks was to take up any
slop in the pickups versus running with another brand's track.  I think you
could make the track conductors can be as wide as you need them to maintain
contact between the cars and the tracks.  I am afraid that this project will
require the M.I.T. approach of Dremel Tooling out some bricks for the motor
and pickups.

What voltage motors are readily available in the slot car scene?  I am
thinking that 9V would be the voltage of choice.  Please let me know what is
out there.  If one goes with the custom track / roadway, you could have a
complete town of powered cars and trucks running around.

Thanks.

Hi Ed,

Interesting idea, I work at a motorracing collectables store and we sell 1/32nd
and 1/24th scale slot cars for plastic tracks. I just looked and without actual
testing it looks like one of the brands we carry uses a "foot" (guide rail that
goes into the slot) that has a locking pin about the same size as a standard
Lego tube or Technic hole.
With this you could make cars out of Lego then use the foot from another source
which solves the problem of picking up power. One could test this theory on a
ready made track without having to make one.
I will do some more investigating and see if this is viable, if so, I think you
may have revolutionized my frinds slot cars track, as my cars will now be LEGO!

Greg