 Town / 4763
4762  |  4764
Subject:
The New Clone Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.town, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:13:54 GMT

While perusing the inventory of a local TRU, I came across a shocking new
construction brick toy that's a shameless and direct copy of another brand.
Imagine my surprise when I spotted
http://shop.lego.com/productinfo.asp?product_number=6738
which bears more than a passing similarity to the existing MegaBloks set
Xtreme Sports Skate City, set #9169.  The biggest difference I can see at a
glance is that the MegaBloks set is a better piece:price ratio, as usual,
and the MegaBloks set has two baseplates.

What annoys me most is that for all the flak MegaBloks takes for being a
ripoff of the canonical brick (such as numerous failed lawsuits by TLC to
demonstrate that MegaBloks has stolen its ideas), MegaBloks has NEVER
produced a set so directly similar to an existing LEGO set.  Now the holy
brand itself has stooped to cloning the clone!  I can't wait until we see
LEGO Blok-Bots.

Anyway, even having said all that, this set
http://shop.lego.com/ProductInfo.asp?product_number=6739
looks pretty cool, if only because the truck had actual doors, rather than a
removable windshield piece.  It's unfortunate that the box gives no clear
picture other than the oblique front view.

     Dave!