 Town / 4669
Re: Café 361 open for business again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 08:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jason J. Railton writes:
So, here it is.  This is the earliest Lego set I ever remember having - the
<set:361> Café with Baker's Van.  I must have been about four years old when
I had this.  Now see my new version at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/town/index.html
LMKWYT - or if you've got any old sets you'd like to update.  Better yet,
let LEGO themselves know.  I'm sure there's plenty of scope for new releases
here.

In lugnet.town, Pedro Silva writes:
Well, I love it! My highlights would be the SNOT sign and the TV outside (I
hope the weather is sunny, otherwise everyone will miss the WC ;-)
The PTC is very finely modelled, congratulations for it as well.

Now, if I were to customize a set... my first choice would be that old Coast
Guard Base (back from the time of the "stiffies"), which I'd turn into an
oil rig. There might be room for a "doubling" in size, whilst keeping the
proportions similar. Picture a 64 x 64 studs base with a giant oil rig on
top of it... mmmm... :-)

Funny you should say that, because that was one of my inspirations.  Did you
know that the <set:369> from 1976 was updated to <set:575> in 1977 to
accommodate minifigs, and to suit the US market?

If you want to do an oil rig, why not start with <set:373_1>?  Get the
instructions from Brickshelf and start modifying!

Personally, I wouldn't make it any bigger unless you're forced to.
Admittedly that café is 5 plates taller than the original (to take the new
door), but the floorplan is still the same.  OK, to be completely honest, I
tried to make it one stud longer, to fit a post in between the front window
and the larger door, but then the roof wouldn't work.

If I could have found the 1x6x2 fake-shuttered white window for the back, I
probably wouldn't have bothered with the back door either.  The brickwork is
completely re-arranged too.  There weren't any 1x3 or 2x2 corner bricks then
(I guess that's how come I have so many yellow 1x1s for my cement wagons),
but there are in that one.  At least all the garden chairs are in the same
places.

Keep up with the renovations; I'm very curious to see what you will achieve!

I do have plans for another, but I'm keeping that under wraps as I may not
have enough of a particular brick.  I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your kind comments, and best of luck with yours.

Jason J Railton