 Town / 1637
Re: So, is that it....?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:46:31 GMT

In lugnet.town, Erin Windross writes:
As we have all seen, town is gone.
And what a miserable way it went.

Everything began in 1997, when a few sets that AFOLs called Town Jr.
appeared in the new Lego line up
The FOLs said quietly...
"Oh this is new, we hate it. Next year will be better."

Then, 1998 arrived.
And with it, more Town Jr.
Now there was growing concern.

"Geez, uhh, maybe it will get better, perhaps it will go the way of Nautica
and dissapear....:

1999 came and went, concern grew ever more.

"AHH! Why is that stuff still here?! Things better get better in 2000"

2000 brought acceptance.

"(sigh) well I guess that's it. Now where did I put those ten instruction
books?"

2001.....that was it.
Nothing.
Not a peep.
Dead.

So is that it.....? Or will we see a comeback in 2002?

Erin
--

I wouldn't get too excited just yet.. the new catalog may only indicate
their "PUSH" merchandis..new stuff to garner attention and suck up marketing

Maybe there will be a mid-Year release...

Judging from recent models...it looks like Town may evolve into city...
larger buildings possibly?

As others have commented...Town may have been subdivided into too many
sub-themes (although the trend does resemble the Castle/Pirate downward
spiral into the abyss)

It seems that lego is continuing imitating popular culture movies, video
games, and "action/conflict" oriented sets.  (witness all of the
Lucas-Spielberg SW/Jurassic Park/Indiana Jones stuff)  I thought I read that
there are 3 Mars based movies set for release in the next year.  Lego seems
to be trying to "ride the train" of other movies and fads.  That allows Lego
to reap the rewards of major movies and large corporation ad campaigns.

Maybe some marketing info indicates that kids don't want cottages, gas
stations, and airports (which is really a shame)

Time will tell......

                         John