 Town / 1070
Re: Classic era damaged windows/doors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 16:01:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:
Anyone who has LEGO from the early classic era (1957-1977) probably has
old windows and doors that are either faded, discolored, pitted, without
glass, or old faded Cellulose Acetate (the red windows are almost orange
in color).  Well I came up with solution for my old damaged windows that
would otherwise never get used.  I spray painted them! (AWK, GASP,
COUGH!!!!!!!)   Yes you heard me, I spray painted them..... BLACK!  I
have a few (mint) classic era windows in black, and I used them to match
the exact color of black modelling paint you can get at any toy store
that sells models.  The results are quite good.  I have a hard time
telling the painted black windows from the originals.  And since black
classic windows are very very rare, these will really stand out.

I chose black because it is the easiest color to match exactly.  I now
have about 30 windows that I have done this to (when you have as many as
I have, there are a large number that are damaged).  Last fall Larry P.
stopped by for a visit, and he was appalled when he saw them, heh-heh.

But if I would have left these windows unpainted, they would have been
useless to me.  They were that badly discolored/damaged.

Note:  I don't paint Cellulose Acetate windows just because they are
CA.  I paint them only when they meet the same damage criteria as the
ABS ones.   I usually segregate CA windows into separate buildings so as
not to make their different color obvious.

I plan on building a single building with all of these windows.  From
preliminary work, I think the results will be quite good.  This is one
reason why I am pushing for re-release of the classic era windows, and
in new colors (black, yellow, blue, gray).

Also, on a similar note,  of all the classic era windows/doors, the most
fragile was the classic door, whose handle often got broken off.  When
that happens, voila! you have a 1x2x3 window (same size as the 1x2x3
small train window).  I personally like these doors because without the
handle, these doors are an exact 1/3 version of the large classic 1x6x3
picture window.  If the handle is broken off, or partly broken off, I
remove any excess plastic remaining from the handle.  Sometimes I will
take a right hand classic door, a left hand classic door, and one of
these handle-less doors and make a 3 piece grouping of them.  Granted
this is not originally the way LEGO was intended.  But I like to make
the best of a bad situation!

Gary Istok

That sounds like a great idea...can you advise as to what particular paint you
use?  How do I determine the ABS from the CA?  One of the problems that I have
with my classic window is that the clear panes are often scratched.  Have you
ever attempted to replace scratched panes with some plastic material?

Also regarding the classic windows (and out of curiosity), I have a 1w x 2l x 2h
yellow window from Universal set 114; is this considered a rare color?

Sorry to deluge you with all of these questions, but any info. would be great as
I would desperately like to salvage any classic windows that I can.