 Technic / Bionicle / 823
  Where did these names come from?

The last box of stuff is about to arrive home from my Pacific Ocean travels, supplying a habit I never expected to acquire: a taste for Pacific island languages. Dictionaries coming tomorrow! Meanwhile, I have been wondering, these Bionicle names (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: Where did these names come from?

(...) The names and words are taken from the Maori culture of New Zealand. Check out the controversy here: (URL) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: Where did these names come from?

(...) Ah! I see you haven't been frequenting the .bionicle group, have you? For shame! If you hadn't *INSISTED* on going off, getting married, and having a honeymoon recently, you would have seen this: (URL) this: (URL) how 'bout a little of this: (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: Where did these names come from?

OK, thanks for the references. I'm all up to date now. I would have seen all this Maori controversy if I had not actually been in Polynesia at the time. In my opinion they (the tribes claiming damages) are claiming far too much specificity. This (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: Where did these names come from?

in article GG8s85.Eu4@lugnet.com, Erik Olson at olsone@spamcop.net wrote on 7/9/01 10:21 PM: (...) For some reason I associate Toa with the name for the stone heads on Easter Island. Isn't it "Moa" or something similar? - Jordan lundj@earthlink.net (...) (23 years ago, 7-Aug-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: Where did these names come from?

(...) That would be moai. Visit this page about Easter Island: (URL) is common Polynesian term for foul generally, and more specifically is borrowed from Maori name for an extinct ostrich-like bird! But see also Hawaiian manu (bird). Not to be (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)