 Technic / Bionicle / 1124
Re: Where did these names come from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 05:26:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Jordan C. Lund writes:

For some reason I associate Toa with the name for the stone heads on Easter
Island. Isn't it "Moa" or something similar?

That would be moai. Visit this page about Easter Island:
http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/rapanui.html

Moa is common Polynesian term for foul generally, and more specifically is
borrowed from Maori name for an extinct ostrich-like bird! But see also
Hawaiian manu (bird). Not to be confused with mo'a, which you pronounce with
a full stop at the apostrophe, mo'a is "well cooked"

-Erik
dictionary and book collector