 Technic / Bionicle / 2382
Re: Metru Nui Goes Political
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:59:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Kyle Beatty wrote:
   Lego has put up a teaser about the Vahki enforcement squads in Mertu Nui. Substitute “Department of Homeland Security” for “Vahki” and “Constitution” for “law” and you have an all too topical bit of agitprop. “Matoran are disappearing.” Indeed.

Considering they had seven “books” plotted out (of which we are in the 2nd) before they even started designing the first sets, I think you’re reading a little too much into this. Also, considering the Vahki are accompanied by faux-Cyrillic text, it seems pretty clear to me that they’re intended to evoke images of the KGB.

Obviously, LEGO is too politically correct (and marketing savvy) to openly criticize American political policies. In fact, pushing a Soviet-style marketing campaign is probably cutting-edge daring for them.

But that doesn’t mean such correlations don’t exist, or that we can’t point them out. And who says America today isn’t increasingly like the USSR or the Eastern European bloc countries in the mid-1950s? Do you feel secure all the time?

Kelly

“We’re from the government, and we’re here to help.”
“Help who?”