 Technic / Bionicle / 2200
Re: BioniWars: AT-OA Pilot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 16:17:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Andrew Saada writes:
The placement of those tubes help this guy to stand out from his brother.

     Actually, it's the other way around.  I built the AT-OA Pilot first,
and then immediately followed it with the TOA Fighter Pilot.  It's just
coincidence that their release order is flip-flopped.  I believe this is the
order in which I built everything, not counting the handfull of unfinished
MOCs (which won't be published at this time):

05-23 unpublished
05-24 unpublished
Jango Fetoa
StormToaper
Darth Vatoa
CloneToaper
05-25 unpublished
Super BatToa Droid
AT-OA Pilot
TOA Fighter Pilot
R2A-D2A
Orange SandToaper
BatToa Droid
White SandToaper
Black SandToaper

I'd be interested to see the result of one with tubes that connect to the >back of the helmet (be sure to update!).

     So would I, but I'm worried that it might require hitting the tubes
with a heat gun to make them more flexible, and I'm not thrilled with the
idea of scorching parts.  I already know how the ABS will react to it, since
that's what we use at work, but I don't even know what material the flex
tubes are made out of.

Thanks for the explanation with R2.  I have a mental image of that now.  I
think I might go a pick some clearanced Bionicle sets to tinker with them
myself

     The Toa Nuva are the only official models that utilize the locking gear
system, but that should be pretty easy to figure out from my photos.
Otherwise, I'd suggest trying Kay-Bee/KB Toys for the Toa Olda, since
they're selling them for about $6 these days.  If you can't find the ones
you want, try TRU, but Wal-Mart and Target have already clearenced them off.

(I have 4 total...attempted to make a TF BeastWars Rattrap that worked).

     Wow.  That's ambitious.  I'd suggest trying to use the
Bohrok/Bohrok-Kal limbs, since they're more likely to be able to fold up in
a nice way.  The linked arm assembly that I used on ArToa would probably
also help, if you're planning to build it into a Toa torso.

Anyway, I mistook the Clonetrooper for a 2nd Jango (was not thinking...you
would think I would say "hey, why's he white?").  That mask fits well.

     I did make a joke about him being Jango somewhere (I think it was my
article teaser), so maybe that's where you picked it up.  And the mask is
the least inaccurate, but it's not great.  The "beak" looks horribly out of
place when viewed from the side, but it looks decent enough from the front.
Better than any of the other Kanohi, at least.

And, in regards to new Bionicle, are there any articles or info you could
point to about the NUVUTAKA??

      It's Taka Nuva, actually.  I did get to tinker around with one during
my appointment in the Toy Fair Bionicle van, but they wouldn't permit
photographs of Taka Nuva at that time.  Currently the only photo that we
have published is this one:

http://www.maskofdestiny.com/archiveimage.asp?i=2952

     If you look carefully, you can see a dark-grey Hau mounted face-up
inside the flex tube "cage" (right between the Pohatu Nuva weapons) on the
construction behind him.  That piece was absent on all of the promotional
photos that were sent out to retailers, but it was present on the Toy Fair
display model in the Bionicle van (they didn't put one in the showroom).

Also, are those spring-jointed right-angled leg parts in the RAHKSHI??

     No.  They are two seperate ball-hinged leg pieces, and the part that
you might be thinking is a spring is actually a seperate Throwbot-era
hip-joint mounted with a tan friction plus/pin combo piece.  You can see a
good shot of what the back of the knee assembly looks like here:

http://www.maskofdestiny.com/archiveimage.asp?i=2615

     They're designed with a new style of ball-joint, where the ball is
mounted from two points directly opposite each other.  This means that the
knee joint won't be able to twist very much, or bend sideways, but it should
be able to fold back on itself until the two halves are parallel, or very
close to being so.  In other words, it should have almost as much range of
movement as a real human knee.  The Toa look stiff as a board when compared
to how unbelievably posable the Rahkshi are.

     Also, each of the Rahkshi comes with _ten_ hip-joints in the
appropriate Toa primary color (red, black, BROWN!, blue, green, or white),
plus one in trans-neon orange (located inside the head).  Vorahk might
actually be the slow seller this time, since black hip-joints are fairly
easy to come by, but the other five are very hard to come by (blue and white
aren't even shipping right now, and red and green are only shipping 2-per in
the Toa Nuva), and brown has never been offered before at all.  I'm already
looking at buying at least a dozen extra Rahkshi just for the hip-joints,
and I suspect I'm not alone on that.