 Technic / Bionicle / 1332
Re: Bionicle Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Keith Kirchoff writes:
I am a big lego fan, but haven't really gotten into bionicle yet.  Thus, as
I haven't been following the storyline much, I'm a bit lost.  Maybe someone
can fill me in.

Random Spackfiller ready!

first, do these six toa work together or against each other?  At times, I
think they are allies, but other times the plot seems to suggest competitors.

explaination one:
Releasing the sets in stages, the Toa were the first to appear. Since the
Tohunga and Turaga are less easy to come by many people will have just the
Toa at the moment. Being an action figure, they crave interaction and hence
fight each other.

explaination two:
The Toa are individuals with sometimes different agendas and methods, at
times this pits them against one another. Also each is vulnerable to
corruption and possession by the spirit Makuata.

The second question deals with those masks.  So why does each guy need all
six?  If they all combined forces, wouldn't all six masks be covered?  And
why do the little McD figures come with the same toa masks?

Explaination one: hopping on the pokemon bandwagon three years to late (oh,
well that's just product development time scales really) there are masks for
each Toa. More masks for the Tohunga and Turaga, Rahi and finally some
special masks that only certain people can get. This creates demand for
products which in turn fuels sales and hence profits.

Explaination Two: Each of the mask (types) begins life as a neutral colour.
As a Toa (or other being) picks it up and possesses it, it changes to their
colour. Hence Onua could wear a red Hau (Tahu's) but the mask would then
turn black to indicate that it's now Onua's. Each being has (more or less)
their own colour.

Third:  was anyone else thoroughly lost during the comic books?

Explaination one:
Like the masks, villagers, CD, special maps and posters and the trading card
game, the comic books are only available to certain geographically
advantaged people. This smacks of fiscal imperialism by the LEGO group but
is probably really just thoughtlessness.

Explaination two:
Some kind souls have volunteered to scan and post the comics (given some
were distrubuted free IIRC there can be no profit stealing accusations). But
they haven't yet. Such is life.

Last:  I asked this question earlier but in the wrong forum.  What's the
general opinion on the card game?  I read one review on it and it was
positive.  But is the general feeling to only get one deck?  Are there
different action cards per set?  Are there randomly assorted cards?

In reverse order.
No the decks are not randomly assorted as far as I know
Yes there are different cards in the three decks
"Find the Power"(R)(TM)(C)(Whatever) Collect 'em all. Go on...
As for the gameplay, depends on your age group, it's aimed at Tweenies and
young teens, so if you're an adult don't expect Diplomacy or Chess.

James (who suggests disregarding most of this post,particularly explaination
ones)