 Technic / 9950
Re: 60c01 24 tooth clutch gear question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gerard Steenbeek writes:
I am wondering how these gears work:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/60c01

I have never seen one of these gears, but it seems to be the solution to
building a motorized pneumatic valve control where the same motor also runs
the compressor... Something i thought sbout making for a new project i`m
planning...

How does this gear disengage? is there a lot of friction when it does? Can
they break?

It doesn't disengage. The friction clutch is always "on". The amount of
friction is signficant, in relation to LEGO parts. If you hold the gear with
your fingers, and try to turn an axle that's through the hole, you can turn
it with a little effort.

For the engineering/scientific types, 2.5•5.0 N·cm is printed on the side of
the gear.

I don't think the gear will break, but perhaps wear out over time if it's
used continuously. But I've not had much experience with them.

-TJ