 Technic / 9836
New MOC: RoboArm II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:37:16 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello fellow legoers..if that is the correct spelling....

Anyways.. I have some pictures of my second generation RoboArm on
brickshelf. I actually finished this MOC about a year ago, maybe a little
less. I was extremely happy with the way it came out and how well it worked.
It was very agile and moved rather quickly.

I was very concerned with weight, and tried very hard to make the parts as
light as possible. Building RoboArm I made me aware of weight issues. For
example, having a heavy claw will require stronger motors and more structure
for the entire length of the arm, therefore it becomes crucial to have
everything as light as possible. Otherwise, the arm takes long to move, or
cannot even reach some positions.

The roboarm has 6 degress of freedom powered by a total of 9 motores. Six 9v
motors, and three micro motors.  Worm gears everywhere, Every joint had a
worm gear.

It was all controlled by 2 technic control centers, and was rather
difficult. It required the use of 12 buttons, 2 for each movement. I would
find myself
wanting to move the arm one way..but hitting the wrong button, so it did
take some getting used to.

As most of my stuff is built, I used only a small amount of standard technic
bricks and plates. I think you could count the number of actually bricks on
both hands :)

In comparison with RobotArm I, I scraped the phuematics and replaced them
with a single micromotor. I liked this alot more, I felt it worked more
reliably, Weighted less over all, and made for a cleaner looking model.

Some interesting points, there are 2 weighted bricks on the back which are
used for counter weight, it wouldn't work without them. Three turntables
were used. The middle one is really interesting. It's powered by two worm
gears one on each side. The worms gears are topped with a clear red axle
joiner, but this isn't even needed. You could take those off and it would
still be fine, since there is a worm gears on each side, the turntable is
unable to move unless both gears are running, so (I may not be explaining
this right) the worms gears are held in place by each other.

Hope you all enjoy,
Brian