 Technic / 981
Re: what's the best technic propeller?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 02:15:20 GMT

Ben Jackson wrote:

I'm kicking around the idea of an RCX controlled blimp, and I'm wondering if an
old-style technic 9v motor (the high-rpm one) in combination with one of the
technic propellers can really be an efficient propulsion source.  Has anyone
used one of these to actually power a model, or are they purely decorative?

--Ben

I have tried all the Technic propellers while I was working on an RCX "flying arm"
project, powered by one of the old 9V motors that Ben mentions.  In the end, I went
to an RC model plane store and bought a 6" dia. two-bladed propeller.  The hole
through the center of the propeller was just large enough to take a small brass
wood screw which, in turn, threaded nicely into one end of a light-gray axle
joiner.  Thus, no Lego was harmed (although I did have to move the propeller to a
"pusher" orientation to stop the axle joiner getting sucked off the stub axle on
the motor).

My own feeling is that you can't get too wound up about the Lego purity issue; if
you do, it becomes increasingly difficult to move from "Lego in the head" to "Lego
on the bench"

Cheers

JP