 Technic / 9288
Re: Train crane MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:05:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chuck Kabesh writes:
I've completed a rebuild of my site and have posted a crane. I wanted a rail
crane and started out by looking at set# 8460. The result is an 8-wide with
manual outriggers, a pneumatic assembly to raise and lower the boom, and
powered crane assembly rotation, cable control, and boom extension. A
micro-motor in the base powers the rotation, while 2 12v motors mounted in the
counter weight handle the cable and extension.

The motors are contolled by tethering them to a Mindstorms brick and using the
remote control. The pneumatics are run from a tank, pump, limit switch and
battery box mounted on a drop centre car.

Obviously not a prototype of anything but fun to play with. The major drawback
is the pneumatics. Simply put they are not up to fine control or raising the
boom while it is extended and bearing a load on the hook... but, as I said, it
plays well.

They can be seen at http://www3.telus.net/chuck

Nice model, Chuck! That 8460 certainly has a lot of inspiration to answer for!!

Have you thought about using the technique I used in my all terrain crane for
elevating the boom? It provides much finer control than pneumatics, and is
easily motorised! It probably also slightly less real-estate. See it at
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/allterraincrane

I've added .technic to the list as well - they'll probably like it over there
too 8?)

ROSCO