 Technic / 9142
Re: flying helicopter? (was: orrery update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:15:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Don Rogerson writes:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
A suggestion for your helicopter - if you can build a single rotor with
enough lift, why not just build 2 and connect them, like the chinook
http://rotored.arc.nasa.gov/activity/chinook.html

That way the extra weight is offset by the extra lift 8?)

Ross - The challenge I'd run into would be coordinating the blades so they
don't chop each other to pieces. Or I'd have to space them out quite a bit -
the rotor I used in my last try had a radius of about 16L.

Another problem I'd face is getting enough power. To generate any lift, I
have to develop some serious rpm's. I do this by using a second motor as a
hand-cranked generator.

DR

Or why not using this setup?
http://british.nerp.net/lego/av8/chopper/index.html
and then click in "General Layouts"

It also uses 2 counter-rotating rotors as the Chinook , but very close one
to another

Luis
(comments, instructions, death threats, etc. please remove all the X's)