 Technic / 7973
7972  |  7974
Subject:
8880 tires on 8458/8466 rims?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:44:36 GMT

Is that what I'm seeing here, on the page with the new 8475 RC Race
Buggy:

http://www.kecia.dk/catalog2002/page575859.htm ?

It hadn't occurred to me to even try this.  This surprises me somewhat.
In the thread "I motorized The 8466 Off-Roader!!!!!", the poster used
what appeared to be 8448 tires on the stock 8466 wheels, apparently to
reduce rotating mass.  I thought to myself, "its too bad they don't
fit the rim quite right" (too narrow).  So, it would be great to learn
that the 8880 tires DO fit the rims correctly, since neither the 8458
tires nor the 8466 tires are really suitable for a normal road-going
passenger car, and both have more mass than the 8880 tires (it
appears).

What this also means (if true) is that you could use the 8466 tires
on the 8880 rims, allowing you to use the 8880 suspension setup as an
alternate to the 8466's when using the giant balloon tires.  So, for
example, those who have an 8880 and bought two copies of the yellow
"Tractor Pull Set" to get four of the large tires (a reasonable thing
to do before the 8466 came onto the scene) would have a way to build
4WD, 4WS vehicles.

While I'm on that topic, has anyone used the new 120 degree "triblade
lift arms" in the Gigamesh G60 to mate the 8880 wheels (or even the
narrowe "motorcycle wheels") with the 8466 suspension pieces?  This
would seem to be a very rigid way to do this, as it would give you 4
attachment points rather than just the one you'd have if you tried to
use the medium sized pulley to accomplish the same task.

As a final note: which tires actually come with the 8475?  The scan
referenced above shows both 8466 and 8880 tires.  Does it come with
both types?