 Technic / 7840
Re: How I've been procrastinating...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:17:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
I know, I know--I should be building a robot for rtl11...

Instead I made this:

http://sparky.i989.net/legop1.htm

I threw the RC unit from 8475 RC vehicle into the 8466 4x4.

It's alotta fun to drive around, though the big tires and the weight of the
vehicle slow it down a bit, as compared to the 8475.

Have a boo!

I'll get working on my 'bot for the competition now.

Dave K

Added a few more pics of the 8466, scooting around the parking lot at work...

(some action shots for y'all... ;) )

Dave K

Very cool Dave!  Nicely done.

Thanks!

You should bring it to the next rtl dinner... ok, maybe with smaller
tires for ease of transport ;)

That'll be rather difficult (tho not impossible) for I ripped it apart and
put the 8475 back together--the 8466 was great for about 3-5 minutes, but it
kills the batteries waaay too fast.

I can't figure out how you actually got the drive to the rear wheels.
Is each of the new motors driving one of the rear wheels?  If so,
how did you gear it down to reduce the chances of gears snapping?
Since I don't think many of us have seen these new motors, do the motor
output shafts go towards the back of the car?  I guess you then turned them
90 degrees through bevel gears or worm to 24?

The motor is at one end, and a fully enclosed gear train goes about 3-4 cm
away from the motor.  The gear train has two axle holes out, one rotates
clockwise, the other rotates at the same speed in the other direction.

If you look closely at the bottom of the modified 8466, you will see the
motors.  I haven't got a pic of a motor on it's own but I'll probably bring
the 8475 to dinner next Friday.

From the axle hole out, I went right onto the axle that goes to the tire--no
gears involved.  I kept the universal joints and such so I could have the
full suspension, but the motors are 'in line' with the axle on the tires.

Can't wait to get my hands on the 8475 ...

It's a little pricey, but I'm enjoying it--perhaps too much--the rubber
tires are already quite worn from the driveway concrete and the road, as
well as the front end of the 8475 is a little banged up from, well, bad
steering ;)

But the 8475 is *very* quick (with a fresh set of batteries in it)

The only downside to the 8475 is that the designers based the entire kit on
'odd' units.  Example--the 8466 frame is 8 or 10 units wide, the SuperCar is
also 8-10 units wide, the technic holes and binding points on the 8475 are
at 3, 5, and 7--I have to use half bushings and axles to join this thing to
the 8466 as well as the supercar (if you want to center it in the
chassis)--Grrr!!  The motors themselves have a few good places to join them
to Technic creations--but, again as you can see from the bottom shots, you
have to use half bushings and axles, for the Technic holes are offset by a
half width.

John

Dave K.