 Technic / 71
Re: conical gear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:13:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno writes:
Hi:

I'm looking for about conical gears.

as seen here:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/r_gear.html

Prize question: Why is this gear, which has
-free rotation/shift on an axle
-toothed-1/2-bush-style teeth (what could one do with those?)
-4 slim teeth for a locking tube
among its features, but nothing cone-shaped, called "conical"?

thanks.
-gbr

BTW: as the new differential housing sports these features
on both ends, I put together an 8880-style transmission
using 2 diff housings on one end. Not too useful (besides
easy reverse gear), but quite interesting.

With a single locking tube (which is of course not in a parts
pack - dacta maybe?), one can make a diff-lock trivially.
I bet early mock-ups of 8880 had locking center diffs, which was
subsequently deemed pointless (it would be :) and too expensive.