 Technic / 6167
Re: building thicker technic axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:51:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark-Jan Bastian writes:
Hello,

When I see those very big cranes, I wonder how the pivoting points
at the bottom of the large booms can hold it out. Are two or more
beams with a technic axle enough to handle the enormous force ?

I was wondering if it's possible to build thicker axles from lego,
for example, using 2x2 round bricks with axles through them, supported
by plates with holes and beams on the side.

The 2x2 round bricks can then be supported by round corner bricks:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=corner+round

These corner bricks have to be mounted sideways, and supported
by sideway-mounted plates. At least 4 corner pieces are needed to
contain a 2x2 round brick. A plate-contruction around the corner
pieces is needed to make it all solid. The corner stones should be
supported by bricks to the sides and underneath it.

Not very usual construction, but maybe worth to experiment with.
I don't have any round corner stones, but have seen them in
60..70's lego sets a long time ago.

Will this idea work ?

Definitely. Although it doesn't need to rotate much, I've used such an idea on
my bridge http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3057 for the main
support hinges. Also, as it only takes forces in 1 direction, I've only used 2
corner (macaroni) pieces on one side. The sections of the bridge are connected
together using #8 axles. Some of the ones near the ends of the bottom arch
chord are pretty hard to turn, indicating substantial load, but I haven't
noticed any damage to the axles or beams. Yet.

The arch is 3.6m (no I haven't weighed it yet), and meets the main hinges at
about 45 degress, so the load on them (2 each end) is about 0.35 times the
weight of the arch (each).

Regards

ROSCO