 Technic / 6166
Re: building thicker technic axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:38:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark-Jan Bastian writes:
Hello,

When I see those very big cranes, I wonder how the pivoting points
at the bottom of the large booms can hold it out. Are two or more
beams with a technic axle enough to handle the enormous force ?

I was wondering if it's possible to build thicker axles from lego,

Well... there's always the technic turntables-- you can build on top of them
with regular bricks...
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2856
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2855

Not very usual construction, but maybe worth to experiment with.
I don't have any round corner stones, but have seen them in
60..70's lego sets a long time ago.

Will this idea work ?

Probably. Although it might be considerably larger in order to get the
sturdiness necessary. I know I contemplated it many times before I owned any
technic turntables (and before I knew they existed!) you can also get an
even larger beam with 4x4 round bricks, supported in arches for housing,
though it is admittedly more work to get the arches to hug the beam snugly.
In theory you could do it with 8x8's as well, except no axle through the
center... and the beam itself would be less sturdy relatively, being made up
of 1/4 8x8 round bricks/plates...

DaveE