 Technic / 5975
Re: need flex system ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 02:12:16 GMT

Some time during the nineties, there was a flex system based technic
universal kit.  It's on Brickshelf.  Take a look at it, it may have
some nice ideas.

Here is some more information on this set:
http://cp5670.250x.com/TC/reviews/8074.htm

I too think the flex system parts are kind of neat. I thought they would be
really useful before I got them, and since getting them, I haven't used them in
a single creation.

I use the flex system parts quite a bit actually; I have found them to be
very useful in situations where I would normally use pneumatic pistons, but
need better precision and less force. They tend to work quite well in
conjunction with cams in my experience. Just for fun, I once made a model
which replicated the functionality of the 8868 Airtech Claw Rig without
using any pneumatics (sort of like a personal challenge...hehe); it worked
quite well by using a motor connected to several flex cables instead of
pneumatic pistons. (functions were split using a transmission switch as done
in 8480)

The 8485 Control Center II set also includes lots of flex parts (more than
any other set I think, especially lots of really long ones); the only
downside is that the price is very high.

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@earthlink.net
http://cp5670.250x.com/TC/